Sunday, May 07, 2006

It is a truth universally acknowledged

One of the advantages of waiting ten years to watch the 1995 BBC adaption of Pride and Prejudice (starring Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle) , is that I've just watched all six episodes in two greedy, gorgeous gulps over one weekend. I might have reread the book for the tenth (or more?) time more quickly than that but something about watching on my little laptop with headphones made the experience almost as intimate as reading. It was worth the wait, with acting, costumes and sets that captured the wit and charm of the novel.

I've always been an Austen fan, but the height of my fandom was during my early teens. I still blush to remember that I paid to insert various quotes as 'anonymous' classified advertisements in the school newspaper. Such as "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife", the opening line of P&P. It was such a geeky thing to do that as far as I know the only people who noticed were the geeks who staffed the paper and who consequently befriended me, so it turned out alright in the end.

No comments: