Monday, June 06, 2005

Market report

Just back from the Manaia Midwinter market... it's been a long day. For most of it I was having so much fun that I hardly noticed I wasn't making any money. There were lots of punters coming through and crowds were constantly round my table admiring my books and boxes. I had several friends stop by and made some new buddies among the other stall holders.

But, as the day wore on, we kept asking eachother... how are you doing? are you selling much? and it turns out that most artists weren't doing much better than me, little more than breaking even. We hashed over various theories about the slow sales but it seems likely that people just weren't in a spendy mood today, though the functional crafts folks offering real bargains did ok.

Even though I'm tired, and a little disappointed that I didn't come home with hundreds of dollars in my pockets, it was a nice thing to do, and I have a funny feeling that unexpected rewards will emerge in the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Market days are a mixed bag - maybe they should be scheduled according to lunar cycles or star charts.... Sometimes they are not worth the hassle and effort, other times they can be great. Good to be out there though and showing off your work! Hopefully it will result in some internet sales.